• Inferris is in active development. Follow along at our Discord to learn more. Forums will be open to registration at a later date.

Inferris FAQ

FAQ

Inferris is an upcoming age-gated 17+ community-driven project centered around our Discord platform. There will be a fun Minecraft server too! The entire project is driven by the purpose of finding unity, forging connection with others, and having genuine conversation. From the light details, to the nitty gritty. The real shit that matters. We want you to be yourself! The FAQ is a list of release plans we want to stick to.

Why the age gate?

After years of experience of working with kids in the gaming and computer science field, I've come to understand the significance of age-appropriate interactions, and while these experiences have been profoundly rewarding, my decision to set the age limit at 17+ is a reflection of the core values we hold dear in our community: kindness, compassion, maturity, and understanding. This age gate enables us to carefully craft discussions and activities that cater to our members' needs, fostering a community where individuals can thrive. It also keeps mature conversations to be seen by more mature people.

The requirement is non-negotiable, and we will unfortunately need to remove-on-sight if there are any members found below the age gap, whether it be on the Discord server, Minecraft server, or here on the forums. If you have joined and weren't aware of this, please exit the way you came in, and feel free to return once you are the right age, and we will welcome you back in open arms. It's crucial that we do this to form a community under our core values! We hope you can understand.

What can you do in this community?

Discord Community
The heart of our project lies here! It will hopefully one day be a space brimming with opportunities for deep, real conversations and the formation of meaningful connections. You'll find a range of channels catering to various interests, regular community updates, and a platform for to share whatever.

Minecraft server
The upcoming Minecraft server is undergoing various exciting iterations and promises to be a future hotspot for enjoyable group games! It is founded on a community-driven approach, where we will listen to feedback.

Volunteer staff, in this context, are not set apart or elevated above the community; they are fellow members, just like anyone else. They embody the principle of inclusivity, actively participating in discussions, events, and activities with the sole aim of facilitating an environment where every member feels valued, heard, and respected. Volunteer staff are not just rule enforcers but trusted friends who work diligently to ensure that the server remains a welcoming place where bonds are formed naturally.

The core backend and frontend plugins are making great progress. There will be a lobby, a survival server with mcMMO, player shops, and an integrated economy, and possibly a games server to play on, all interconnected. If we like Vanilla more, I will either open a Vanilla server or close off the plugin-modified server, depends on my financial circumstances!

Monthly themes
Each month, my project undergoes a captivating transformation into a new thematic experience, offering our community members a fresh adventure. Themes might range from immersive fantasy realms, nostalgic retro vibes, and futuristic science fiction odysseys to a multitude of other exciting concepts. These monthly themes are designed to be dynamic and engaging, fostering a sense of togetherness and igniting creativity within our community. Join us as we explore a world of imagination and shared experiences, where each month brings something entirely different to our growing community!

Activity: Icebreaker
Aside from offering more mainstream ways to connect with others, we will also be engineering some "get to know each other" activities. One of these activities will be similar to an "icebreaker" game (see below). The goal of this icebreaker activity is to help people get to know each other in a fun way.

Participants will be randomly paired with another user and will take turns answering pre-generated questions to foster conversation and build connections. Once paired, the two users enter a public chat. They take turns answering pre-generated questions, which are displayed one at a time. These questions are designed to be open-ended and can range from casual topics (e.g., "What's your favorite movie?") to deeper ones (e.g., "What is one life lesson you learned the hard way?"). At the end of the activity, participants may have the option to provide feedback or rate their interactions. This can help improve the experience for future sessions. Chats are moderated in the background, and is made public to ensure everyone feels safe!

Activity: Trivia clash night
Folks are grouped into teams, either randomly assigned or self-selected, with each team consisting of an equal number of members. It's like a friendly competition where each team tries to answer a bunch of interesting questions from various categories like pop culture mashups, unsolved mysteries, TV theme songs, and more!

Activity: Movie nights
Get ready to grab your popcorn, fluff up your coziest pillows and find your blanket, and join us under the starry sky for movie nights! Whether you're a fan of comedy, a thriller enthusiast, or a hopeless romantic 😭, we've gotcha covered! Movie nights will take place on our Discord server of course, so you can join our stream when it goes live! The movie events will be setup by our staff, giving us a great way to help moderate content if there are any trolls, but we offer and encourage community-led gatherings too!

Shared playlists
We will likely do shared server playlists or music recommendations too. I believe that a combined effort in finding awesome music would result in some cool playlists!

How Inferris came to be

Prologue

The things that really matter
This is a deeply personal post, and it highlights my struggles, my passion for creating this project, and what I truly want it to become. By giving something of me, I believe it will help others understand why, and maybe allow others to relate, become more vulnerable, and be themselves. You can skip ahead if you'd like!

I spent a good amount of my late teens learning about psychology, especially the subconscious nature of it, in order to not only to help myself and learn more about the world, but to also help others. One of my favorite aspects of psychology has been the clinical aspect of it, especially around mood disorders, anxiety disorders, and trauma. But man, I hated not being able to help everyone, I came to find out that sometimes people need a whole village to get through certain seasons in life, whether it was from mental or physical troubles. I became interested in this field in my early teenager years when my anxiety and depression started to develop into more severe symptoms. I knew something was wrong but I couldn't make head or tail about this idea of "why me?". A lot of my life I have felt alone, even though I had people around, like at Christmas gatherings, birthdays, family events. This lasted all throughout school and impacted my life in every way because the world morphed into a 2D plane of glass that seemed close, yet light-years away.

A revelation struck me when I encountered struggles in my personality that was previously unknown, and I was left alone figuring out something that couldn't be easily explained. My treatment team were equally confused. In the process of this self-discovery, I inadvertently harmed so many friendships and my own mental well-being, leading to a severe deterioration of my mental health. It only got worse in 2022, and I was seeking anything to find relief from the inner turmoil, until I found myself under psychiatric care in an inpatient facility. It marked a crucial juncture in my healing journey.

I spent the next few months enveloped in the embrace of outpatient groups and therapy sessions, learning to forgive the ways I had to kill my sadness, and navigating the currents of my healing journey after my discharge. It was during these moments that the seeds of an idea began to sprout—a vision born from the amalgamation of my struggles and the desire to extend a bridge to others, not necessarily solely as a support group, but a way to connect and have fun while offering ways to vent and seek support. In those therapeutic spaces, I unearthed an aspiration to provide what I myself yearned for during the loneliest stretches of my journey—a community who was understanding, compassionate, and accepting. The genesis of Inferris emerged from this profound longing to bridge the gap between individuals, offering a sanctuary where the essence of conversation holds profound meaning. Inferris, in and of itself, aspires to evolve into a haven where beautiful moments find their canvas, where the synergy of friendships, conversation, and even activities like gaming harmoniously unfolds in a realm free from toxicity.

Inferris, in essence, is a manifestation of my enduring quest to ensure that no one treads the path of isolation alone, giving folks a place to be, and find themselves. It is a community project with a singular mission—to nurture connections and dismantle the barriers that perpetuate loneliness. This haven is where conversations transcend mere words, where bonds are forged, and where the radiant glow of positivity permeates even the darkest corners of our collective experiences. Isn't that something special?

That's truly what I want. The development of Inferris is not just about creating a community filled with amazing people, or having fun things to do—it also reflects the strength that resides within each of us. To be honest, I never anticipated or even planned on reaching this point, and yet, I want to offer people a chance to bask in the warmth of positivity in a world that can often be unrelentingly harsh. I ask you a question. Have you ever discovered those those lovely YouTube videos late at night that are filled with hours of music, and the comments are filled with warmth, love, and compassion? There'll be that one comment with a long list of things to live and breathe for, another comment affirming you to stay strong and keep pushing, and another saying that this is like a checkpoint in life, where you can stay here for as long as you want, as long as you need, because you will be okay no matter what in the end. And you know, as you read them and just listen, time stops for a moment. You feel a little better, and people come together to open up about their struggles, and become vulnerable in a world that sometimes condemns such a needed thing. That is what I want Inferris to be.

I want Inferris to become a beacon of hope, a reflection of the power of connection, and a tribute to the resilience that arises from the crucible of personal struggle. Whether you want to casually chat, find common ground and meet people, or want people to game with, I hope that Inferris can be something for everyone. It is through my wish that, through Inferris, individuals can rediscover a sense of belonging, find solace in shared experiences, and, above all, feel less alone in the crazy thing that life is.

Thank you for accompanying me through these thoughts, and that's the end of the post! We have a Discord linked here if you're interested in staying updated, but I ask you two favors favor: please read our rules so that we can keep this place a safe haven, and please remind yourself that it is okay to be yourself here. If you wish to come, we will welcome you with open arms even though the project isn't out yet, and if not, we hope you find what you are looking for elsewhere.

See you in the next post,
Azzy

Last edited:
Azzy

Azzy

Project lead
Back